A Travellerspoint blog

Dominican Republic

Bahia de las aguilas

Heaven on earth

sunny 33 °C

While I was in Cabarete, my amazing boyfriend contacted to tell me to keep a couple of days free the following week for when I would be back in Santo Domingo. When I asked him why, he told me it was because he was going to take me to Bahia de las aguilas. I was over the moon excited as this is the most famously beautiful beach of the entire island. It is the most furthest away from anything, UNESCO protected, and has some of the bluest waters of any beach ever.

When I got home to Santo Domingo I was so excited about our upcoming trip. A couple of the people pulled out, but then it worked out that Nicolas, Camila, and Javier could come with us! So the 6 of us (plus a friend of Billy’s from work, Sarah) packed up everything we could possibly need to eat and sleep on the beach, got into the van at 4am, and slept while Billy drove us 7 hours towards the most South Western point of the country, just 20 minutes from the border to Haiti.

On the way we drove through some amazing countryside. At one point it really felt as if we were in the desert, and Nicolas loved it as he had spent much of his childhood in Africa.
The closer we got to the beach, the brighter the blue became.
The restaurant at the point where you take the boat around to the bay was beautiful. The view out over the water was incredible, and no camera will ever do justice to the colours of the sea.

We climbed up to the top of the cliff and looked out over the different bays.

The view at the top was absolutely incredible, the colours were brighter than any colour I had ever even imagined

And then we returned back to the restaurant where they told us the prices of the boat trip to Bahia de las aguilas.
We were in shock, there was no way we were going to pay the price they were asking when it is usually just 100 pesos – they were asking $40USD per person! Luckily, I had done just a teeny tiny little bit of research online and remembered reading that there was a road, not a wonderful one, but there was road access. We ditched the guys at the restaurant after I told them they were idiots as they had lost us buying 2 meals of lunch for 6 there over 2 days, paying for the return trip boat ride, and the money we were going to pay to sleep on their balcony. Considering there was no other people anywhere near the beach, the restaurant, or what felt like that entire part of the planet, I cannot understand why they did not try to make a better deal with us! However, we then headed around to the other side where the fishermen were and the less fancy restaurants. We asked about the boats, and they said there were none running. I cheekily asked about the road and the man looked us over and then pointed towards the gate. I asked if he thought our van would make it, he nodded and asked if we had paid the entrance fee for the national park (100 pesos). I said we had (we had) and he opened the gate and let us through! We were able to drive with all of our things, right to the beach of Bahia de las aguilas, saving us about $300 to go about 5km, you can imagine how pleased we all were!
We met a family who Billy spoke to, and she encouraged us to go and speak with her husband who was in charge of turtle conservation. My ears pricked up when I heard the word turtles, and my eyes sparkled when I saw the sign saying that the areas of the sand were protecting turtle eggs.DSC01797.jpg The lady told us where to go to find the man in charge, and sure enough we found him at his large turtle tower – which we labelled the penthouse.
The biew from the top of the pent house was pretty spectacular too!
We spoke with him at length and got on very well with him. He told us that it is not allowed to sleep on the beach because of the turtles nesting at night. But because he could see we were good people, he would let us sleep in the penthouse. He also promised he would return that night and take us to see the turtles nesting. We enjoyed the whole day at the beach, because of our early departure we were at the beach by 11am!
We snorkelled (I taught Camila how to snorkel) and we swam for ages with the fish

We got to see the amazing giant star fish that I had so desperately wanted to see at Isla Saona. Billy swam down and picked them up for me so I could have some pictures with them.

The beach was just so amazing, no one could even believe where we were

Billy and I went off for a walk by ourselves, running along the sand, searching for giant shells, swimming together where it felt like we were the only two people in a world of brilliant blue

We watched the sun slip into the Caribbean sea as we drank rum from the bottle - just like pirates!!
We ate fresh fish, salad, and rice on the beach that was delivered to us by Ignacio, the turtle carer. He returned after dark, and with bottles of rum in hand – the hunt for the turtles began.

We must have walked up and down the beach 10 or 15 times, each time searching for tracks in the sand where the turtles would have made their way up to the dunes to dig and lay their eggs. We couldn’t find anything, and there was even a time where Billy and I curled up together on the sand for a wee nap while we waited. We had codes and signals with the special torches we were using, so that we wouldn’t need to call or scream to each other to gather attention. But there was no sign of the special codes, just darkness all around.
At about 2am, we decided to give it one last try. Camila went to sleep and decided she wasn’t going to search anymore. I looked at the others who were desperate to see one, and I felt that little voice inside me say; go on Katy, one last chance. So we walked further than we had before and Billy and I lagged quite a way behind the others. A couple of times we heard a really strange noise, but figured it was something up in the trees behind the sand. We caught up to the others and all settled down for a nap, we set an alarm to wake us up to have one last try as we walked back in an hour.

On the way back we were all very tired and disappointed, we had been so determined. It looked as if the storm in the distance and the fact that the moon had set early was putting the turtles off from coming to shore – or so we thought. Suddenly, we saw Igancio’s torch giving the signal as he told us there was something nearby. We searched the beach as best we could – no lights and no moon was making it very difficult. And then we saw it, what I had thought was a giant boulder began to flap and move around!
I had been expecting turtles of 30cm in size, I didn’t realise that what I was seeing even existed – 900 kilogram leatherback turtles!
DSC01915.jpgAfter we saw the first one, we realised there was another one nearby which was even larger. She was obviouosly more experienced as she had found herself a much better place on the beach. Ignacio explained to us how there cannot be any water in the holes the turtles dig or the eggs will not survive. Sadly what was once the most common turtle in the world, found all over the planet except for in the poles, is now bordering on extinction. Many people here in the Dominican Republic eat their eggs for aphrodisiac purposes, and the turtles are dying in the ocean because they confuse plastic for their favourite meal of jellyfish. Because of this reason, Ignacio carried with him a shotgun in case he encountered anyone on the beach trying to steal the eggs. We did our best to keep quiet and not let our excitement brew over too far as to disturb the turtles. We desperately wanted to watch until they laid their eggs and swam back out to sea, but we could sense that we were watching something private and that the huge mission that the mother turtles were embarking on was already stressful enough. The last thing they needed was a bunch of young travellers watching on, regardless of our good intentions. DSC01914.jpgDSC01924.jpg
Ignacio checked for their tags, as each turtle has a tracking tag so that their mileage can be recorded for a range of different purposes. One of the turtles wasn’t named so Sarah quickly decided it would be Tallulah. As we walked away and bid farewell to the giant reptiles, we realised there was a third one about 200 meters away! We couldn’t believe our luck.
When we got back to the penthouse, we woke up Camila and told her she had to go and have a look. Ignacio raced off on his motorbike and picked up his wife and small daughter, returning to show them the three turtles as well. Camila went off with them, and I am so glad she did because I really feel that it was something that we will never have the chance to do again.

We all slept together up in the pent house. I was so grateful Billy and I had bought two giant duvets (we usually sleep under them with the air-conditioning on full blast at home), as it was really cold due to the wind blowing. We snuggled up and kept warm but I think the others were quite chilly. 90_DSC01935.jpg90_DSC01936.jpg90_DSC01937.jpgDSC01938.jpg

The next morning was pretty amazing to wake up to such an amazing view
We all had a quick swim, some breakfast, and spent a little more time staring out at the most beautiful beach we had ever seen before deciding to make our way back to the city slowly. We stopped at the river at Los Patos beach for a fresh water swim to wash away the salt and sand.
Billy had told us about a place where there was a magnetic pole. Apparently we could go there, turn the car off, and the magnet would force the car to go up hill.

We drove all the way there, and sure enough he was right!
Except we started to realise it wasn’t really a hill… it was more of a flat road with a very strange gradient and a peculiar trick to the eye…
After some very basic science tests, we realised that we had been Dominican scammed again – it was not a magnetic pole, rather what is known by google as a gravity hill! Oh how we all laughed and laughed! It was such a great way to end our amazing adventure at the most beautiful beach in the entire world.

And thank you to my amazing Billy for taking me to paradise, I love you x

Posted by chasingsummer 17:51 Archived in Dominican Republic Comments (0)

Back to Cabarete

sunny 30 °C

I realised after seeing Johanna, Nicolas, and Arjan when they came down for the Isla Saona trip, that I just had to go back up to Cabarete. I needed to make up with my friend/ ex-boss Mati. Just because we didn’t agree on something in regards to work has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I don’t think of him as one of the most amazing friends I have made on my time away from New Zealand.

Billy had a full on project with missionaries from Trinidad and Tobago so I knew he would be gone from early morning until midnight every day for the entire week. I made the decision to catch the bus up with Snail (after he returned from Amsterdam and surprising his mother). Mati had caught wind of my return – castle gossip was always our strong point, and he wrote to me saying that I should stay at the castle. Even though I had plans to stay with Glencora at the monkey jungle, of course…where else would I stay but back in my castle?

Arriving back in Cabarete was an amazing feeling. We arrived after midnight and stopped in at the liquor store as I had wanted to buy some whiskey to leave on the reception desk for Mati in the morning. As soon as I entered the bottle shop, the owner was asking me where I had been for the past 2 months, telling me that he now had an oversupply of rum since I hadn’t been in to see him! As we turned down the corner and through the security for the gates of the castle street, all of the security guards greeted me with kisses and hugs and told me they had missed me too! It was one of the strangest feelings, I really felt as if I was returning home, a feeling I have not felt in a very very long time, since living in the bubble. And there it was, the beautiful crazy castle in all its glory.

And the next few days were filled with reunions, hugs, dancing, and as usual for me in Cabarete – far too much rum. My first night back we even had a rum party - no one even left to go dancing that night!

We had happy hour on the beach with all the old timers in Lax/ojo bar as we always did for $100peso ($3) burgers and fries with $100peso coconut mojitos.
I went to the beach in Sosua with Glencora, Mati, and Ola one day. We were invited to lunch by a friend of Ola and Mati who owns a gorgeous restaurant above the most beautiful beach that I wish I had known existed the whole time I lived in Cabarete!
We ate a lovely meal of red snapper before Mati and I threw ourselves off the cliff a couple of times. It took us a while to jump at first as we weren’t 100% sure on the depth. But after Glencora checked it out for us – we were away!
I met new friends too, because of course there were new people in the castle by now too. We went out and partied all night as usual, drinking far too much rum and dancing on the beach until everything closed.
One night even Maria came out, the cleaner from the castle, because she was so happy that I had come back. So we took her out and danced with her all night, she even came back and slept over at the castle until she worked the next morning with a whopping hangover


We went to a circus altogether, about 23 of us. It was a very bizarre circus with the strangest ad-lib performance where I completely lost it and was laughing so hard I was crying and coughing all at once. Which of course got every single one of my friends going, and then the rest of the audience, and even the performers too were apparently pointing and laughing while I was literally rolling around on the floor where we were all seated.


On one of the days I went out to visit my friend Glencora at the monkey jungle.
Since I had put her in contact with them and arranged for her to have the job, they offered to let me through the ziplines and to see the monkeys for free!
The monkeys were adorable and I was so lucky to be able to go through and see them with Glencora. They climbed all over me as I held out a bowl of food for them.

At one point I had 9 monkeys on me.

The thing I really loved was their tiny little hands which were so soft and very intricate. I wasn’t able to pat them or cuddle them as they were afraid of that, but it was really amazing to be so close to them. I loved also that they were rescued and in an enclosure, but that they were able to get out if they really wanted to as it was a free ranging enclosure. They were there because they chose to be.

The ziplines were amazing. I was very hungover from a huge night the previous evening. However, it turned out that throwing yourself down a long wire over the jungle is quite a good cure!
They made us climb up to the top of a hill before the first line, and in the heat and with the rum still in my veins it really was quite the achievement to be at the top!

At one point they taught me how to hang upside down from the zipline and that was freaky!
They had another part which was a straight free fall drop into an underground cave. I didn’t want to do it and the guide promised he would go with me (like he did on some of the superfast ziplines). He attached me up to the free for all drop, said to wait a second as he was coming right behind me – AND THEN HE LET ME GO! I was so confused and upset he wasn’t with me that I didn’t even realise I was falling until I was nearly at the bottom, so I guess it all worked out for the best in the end.

By the time I got back to the castle again, it was already mojito time – and I could still feel the hangover! But as it was my final night in town, and all of my local (non-castle) party friends were expecting me to be there for the final night I never had before – out we went one more time. I managed to make it out of bed by 2pm the following afternoon, miss my first bus home due to laziness, and then the second due to the car breaking down when Mati drove me to the bus station. By the time I finally made it back to Billy, it was midnight, I had no voice left, a throbbing headache, and he said he has never seen me looking so pale and exhausted despite spending a week in the sun! But ohhhh it was worth it, even just for that feeling of ‘going home’ for a while. To be surrounded by friends and people I love, even if only for the shortest time. To realise that I had successfully made myself a life in Cabarete, that I had friends, a job, I knew people in every shop/ bar/ area and people were happy to see me return. It was a very nice feeling, and I didn’t realise how much I had missed being there until I was back there.

Posted by chasingsummer 16:28 Archived in Dominican Republic Comments (0)

Isla Saona

catamaran tanning, free rum, and a speed boat ride!

sunny 30 °C

As I wrote earlier, Billy runs a tour company where he takes people to see the different parts of the Dominican Republic for a better price than most other tour companies. The thing about the Dominican Republic that drives me nuts is the high amount of tourism and the fact everyone is out to exploit each other. Obviously everyone needs to make a living, but the taxi fare of $50 from the airport to the city is not fair – and Billy does it for $25 -$30 a run and still makes a little money from it! $50USD here is a lot of money, it can buy gas and groceries for two people for a week - and still leave some money left over.

Anyway, so one of Billy’s tours is to go out to some of the islands off the coast of the main island. We had been arranging to go for a few weeks and organising the people – organising Latinos is a career in itself I swear! The day finally came, and I was super excited because Arjan, Nicolas, and Johanna had decided to come down and go to the island with us!

Snail had come down with them from Cabarete as he needed to catch a flight to Amsterdam to surprise his mother for her 60th birthday. It was really cool because they came the day before the tour, so Billy took us all on an amazing adventure around Santo Domingo to see some of the sights of the old city.

We also went to see the monument; el faro de Colon, that was created for Christopher Columbus as the island of Hispaniola (the island that is half Haiti and half Dominican Republic) was the first place he landed on his discovery. The monument was a very strange place, full of inscriptions and shaped as a cross as it was also commemorating the first missionaries who came to spread Christianity at the same time of the discovery.

We went to a place called tres ojos, another area which was used during Jurassic Park filming. This place was a fresh waterhole that collapsed during an earthquake to create 3 different areas (tres ojos/ three eyes) for bathing. However, swimming is no longer allowed due to the Dominican’s inability to keep anything clean and trash free (sorry if my frustrations are becoming more and more apparent, but I have never in my LIFE seen such utter disregard for the environment as I do on this island). But even though we couldn’t throw ourselves into the fresh, cool, and inviting blue water, it was an amazing place to visit.
Especially as Billy could tell us all about the history of the caves; when the Spanish were invading, they were raping and hurting many of the indigenous women. The native tribesmen would hide their women and children inside the caves because it was nice and cool, safe and protected, and there was fresh water for bathing and drinking.
The following day we had to get up really early so we could pick up all of the other tour participants and drive across the island to where we were going to catch the boat from in a small hippy town called Bayahibe.
We had to wait in Bayahibe for a long time as there were a LOT of people booked through other tour companies. Finally it was our time to board the little speed boat which we all presumed we were taking straight over to the island…But no, it delivered us to a giant catamaran that was pumping music and serving free rum!
Oh it was bliss, we sailed across the water for at least 2 hours under the hot shining sun with the wind in our hair and rum in our hands…
We danced on the boat and joined the party for a while, but mostly sat up the front on one of the giant nets that brought back many fond memories of the giant hammock in Colombia. It was really cool to look down and watch the Caribbean underneath us.
Billy even tanned his hands and feet a little bit
When we got to the island we had a buffet lunch and sat on the sand to eat it. There was an open bar on the island so the rum drinking continued…
We wandered off with a rum bottle in hand (sneakily pinched from the free bar along with a bottle of coke) and found a secluded part of the island to tan, swim, and enjoy the amazing view.

We ended up staying on the island for sunset, which was magnificent. There are not many places I have seen the sun set into the sea in the Dominican Republic because the west coast is Haiti.
We were on the last speedboat back to the mainland, after a minor problem with an oil shortage we were speedily on our way back!
By the time we made it back to Santo Domingo after the long drive and delivery of everyone on the tour it was quite late and the hangovers had started to kick in. I feel so lucky that I got to go on one of Billy’s tours and I can’t wait to go on the next one – maybe to another island, my island; Isla Catalina!

Posted by chasingsummer 16:10 Archived in Dominican Republic Comments (0)


time in the mountains away from the sea

sunny 20 °C

Jarabacoa had been the plan for Arjan and I to meet again after we parted ways in Samana about 2 weeks earlier. We had planned to go waterfall jumping and hiking through the mountains in the central part of the Dominican Republic. He spoke to our friends Johanna and Nicolas at the castle, they found an amazing place for us to stay (Casa Verde, eco lodge) which had its own private river and huge grounds – including tanning meadow!
The entire house was covered with the most amazing art works and it had a very earthy/ hippy vibe, run by an awesome Dominican man with a wicked outlook on life.
The house itself was a very cool place and the upstairs floor was where we each had our own little bedroom in the attic. It was all made out of wood, had slanted ceilings - and my room even had a Christmas tree so I didn’t need to use the enemy; overhead lighting!
We spent one of the days down at the river where we took all 8 of the hostel dogs for a bath to get rid of their fleas. We had fallen in love with the two youngest puppies that had been adopted in off the street (like all of the others) and we had renamed them as Sanky and Panky.
The day at the river was lovely; picnic, tanning, swimming, and of course trash pick-up because it is impossible to go anywhere in the Dominican Republic without encountering far too much rubbish.

On another of the days we borrowed the car from Casa Verde to drive to Constanza which is one of the highest towns in the Caribbean as it sits near to Pico Duarte, the highest mountain in the Caribbean.
We had planned to go swimming in waterfalls, sneakily climb the mountain in the dark to avoid paying the $500 fee to enter – however, we had forgotten what comes with highest towns/ mountains – COLD! And boy, we were so unprepared!
There was no WAY we were going to be swimming or hiking or doing anything other than snuggling under our sweatshirts and trying to keep the cool air from hurting our chests! From sunny Caribbean sea-level to 1,283 meters the temperature dropped from 30 to 15 celsius far too quickly for our shorts and tee shirts!

We got back to the farm house late that night and drank 3 bottles of rum, played cards, danced around the house, and talked until we no longer had the strength to sit. The following day we piled into the car and headed off to see some of the waterfalls in Jarabacoa. We were quite disappointed as we had heard it was one of the waterfalls from the opening scenes of Jurassic Park and imagined it to be spectacular. Instead, it had rained recently so the water was very dirty and brown, and there were huge signs and barriers everywhere saying we were most certainly not allowed to swim!


We decided not to traipse around the rest of the waterfalls over the following days as we knew they would all be the same colour (with the same overpriced entrance fee!), so we headed back to our little slice of paradise for more river time and chilling at the casa – after a yummy sunset dinner on a mountain!DSC01312.jpgDSC01311.jpgDSC01308.jpgDSC01310.jpg
It was such a lovely relaxing weekend, away from the extreme Caribbean heat and the sea. Mountains are always such an amazing place to be as they bring such peace and tranquillity. We said goodbye to each other as they headed back for the castle, and I back to my Billy Elliot in Santo Domingo.

Posted by chasingsummer 15:25 Archived in Dominican Republic Comments (0)

Batey no# 8

Billy's roots

sunny 35 °C

The night after Glencora left for her job up in Cabarete, I had spent many hours editing, researching job options, plane tickets, and skyping friends and family. I was feeling really unsure of what I was about to do with the following two months before I was to meet Erie in Guatemala on June 1st. I was missing the comfort of the castle, my amazing life full of fun times and good friends in Cabarete, and I just wasn’t sure which way to go. It’s funny though, because I was not worried. Many times throughout the past year of this adventure I have felt lost, scared, alone, worried, and apprehensive. However, this time was different as I knew that something would present itself. I had learned to go with the flow, to trust that the universe would provide me with the right path, and that everything would be ok… And thankfully, as usual, it did.

I took a break in my editing to go for dinner with a lovely group of Catholic missionaries I had met through the hostel. They were visiting the Dominican Republic to renew their Haitian visas. They convinced me I needed a break from work as I had been heads down into my computer since they left me earlier that morning to go sightseeing. As I closed the front door to the hostel behind me to join my friends outside where they were waiting, I noticed they were talking to a group of people who had been standing outside. I had to laugh, because of the very very very few people I knew in Santo Domingo – I knew 3 of the group of 4 - they were three members of the family I had gone to stay at the chicken farm with! The fourth person in the group was a guy called Billy and I can’t explain it, all I know is that the second I met him I knew I needed to keep talking to him. They had all come over to the hostel where I was staying so that Billy could talk to the owners in regards to him using their hostel as a place to host people who work with him when they come to the Dominican Republic. He runs a tour company that helps Dominican and Haitian people to see the beauty of the country, interpreting services as he speaks 5 languages and understands 7, a transportation service, and brings missionaries from overseas to provide a range of services in church operated schools for very poor children around the city, mostly Haitian kids without legal papers or parents.

So anyway, as one of the missionaries was half Mexican/ half North American, him and I had been discussing Mexican food at every opportunity we had. We asked if the others knew where a Mexican restaurant was that sold tacos, and Billy led us all over town to find the cheapest yet best place he knew – and it was delicious! After the meal, I realised in my rush to leave the hostel and join the others I had not checked to see if I had enough money in my wallet for dinner – and I didn’t! I realised I was about $1.50 short (probably half of the full price), and I cheekily asked Billy who I was sitting with if he minded me borrowing the money from what he had put down as a tip. He lent me the money, and then had to give more to the waitress as that was the smallest bill he had – something he still teases me about. We left the restaurant with the others and walked to a nearby bar to dance bachata.
Billy and I had running races all over the old city; the colonial zone. When he first introduced himself as Billy, I had joked and called him Billy Elliot. He said he couldn’t possibly be as he didn’t know how to dance. I promised I would teach him bachata. Well, turns out… when he took my hand and pulled me to dance at the bar, this boy could dance! He just smiled at me and said; of course I can dance Katy, I am Dominican! We danced bachata together until the bar closed, and he walked me back to my hostel. He asked if he could take me to the beach the following day and I agreed, but wouldn’t let him kiss me goodnight.

The next day, he asked me if I was up for a real adventure or was I a chicken. I told him of course, adventure is who I am. So he said that I could take my things to his house and not have to pay at the hostel anymore, and that he would take me out of the city to the south of Barahona where he is originally from because that is where the better beaches are. I considered it, thinking I didn’t particularly know this guy – however, I could sense immediately he was a good guy, AND he was a very good friend of the people I had just spent Easter with. So I said yes to the adventure, and off we went to Batey number 8 by bus.

Every single time I go to a small local village, I think that I can’t possibly see anything poorer. However, I think that the Bateys are really the most astonishingly poor places I have ever been – yet somehow the people are still smiling and happy, proud to show me through their homes and feed me their food, and eager to sit and talk about the world with me.
The Bateys of Barahona are places that I had no idea even existed. The reason they do exist is due to the height of the sugar trade in the 1970’s. The Dominican government brought Haitian’s from across the border to work as slave in the sugar cane fields. There are Bateys 1 – 9, each about 1km apart. They are where the sugar cane train stops to pick up the sugar cane every few hours, at all times of the day and night. They are still working and functioning today, it doesn’t seem as if the conditions have gotten much better either. But back then, the Haitian’s were given extremely basic accommodation, much of which is still used as homes for families today. When the ‘contracts’ were up for the Haitian’s (due to visa requirements), instead of taking them back to Haiti, they were left to fend for themselves and build new homes from mud, corrugated iron cut offs, plastic, and whatever other pieces of material can be found.
Then, new Haitian workers were brought in, and now each of the Bateys (1 through 9) are like their own mini communities where generations of families live.

The saddest thing of all for me is to see how each community doesn’t even have its own name, so when someone asks you where you are from; you are from a number.

The area was dry and dusty, there was very little electricity, and none of the houses had floors. It was just compacted mud and dirt. The power was government controlled and would turn on sporadically for an hour or so. Most of the time at about 3am when it is of absolutely no use to anyone.



Yet the people; Billy’s family, wow! They opened their doors, their homes, and their hearts to me. One of the days Billy took me around the entire Batey to introduce me to people so that I could meet them and also so I could see the way they lived.

Every single house offered us food and something to drink, and it was one of those moments where it was rude to even think about saying no. There were family members bagging baking soda to sell individually as a way to make cash, there were people cooking over outdoor fires to make bread to sell, and we bought and ate the most amazing peanut butter I will ever eat in my life.
Dishes were done outside in buckets of dirty brown water and clothes were washed in the very same way.


There were people sitting around everywhere, laughing and chatting in a mixture of creole and Spanish. I was most certainly the only white girl had been around for a very long time and I was very grateful my Spanish earned me a little respect. Some of the ladies were doing hair braids so of course I walked away with a few – talk about PAIN!

We headed off to the beach and the river with some of Billy’s cousins one day and ate fresh fish on the beach. It was amazing to watch his cousins running around and enjoying the sea, sadly something they don’t get to do very often despite living on an island.

One of the nights we were there, there was some very serious sounding drumming and chanting going on. I asked Billy what it was and he informed me that it was a voodoo ceremony. Of course this peaked my interest, and despite Billy being a Christian, he took me over to have a look. He got a couple of his biggest uncles to come with us as added security, and he wouldn’t let me leave his side. I didn’t take any pictures because it would have been highly inappropriate; plus they wouldn’t have come out anyway as it was very dark. The darkness added to the eerie feeling that lurked in the air as we made our way closer. The chanting and the drumming was coming from people seated around a fire where there was also a clearing for the dancers. The clearing made a 10 metre pathway through people down towards a fire pit of coals. Throughout this cleared area the dancers ran up and forth, sometimes scaring and pushing away the gathered watchers in fear. The dancers were not dancing like people, they were dancing as if they were possessed; they would dance so close to the fire it seemed as if they were inside it. At one point a man ran down the little path way to the coals, walked over them as if they were nothing, bent down and picked up a bright red coal and placed it into his mouth before continuing to dance. Everyone was screaming, shouting, chanting, dancing, and watching on. I tried to see as best and there was a little clearing I could have gone through alone but I was terrified I would get separated from Billy; in a sea of black faces in the middle of the night, he would have had to be the one to find me. Suddenly everyone lunged back and people started screaming in a different way; the crowd was screaming in fear. The drums never ceased and nor did the dancers/ possessed, but the watchers were on the move and I felt Billy pick me up and carry me away very very quickly, pressing me between himself and his Uncle until we were safe. Usually in a moment like that, I would have a desire to see what was happening. But I was happy to be carried away like a little child. I will never forget the way the air felt that night, the way the smoke curled thickly towards the sky, and the thick smell of African/ Haitian incense filled my nostrils. What I believe spiritually is ever changing, but one thing is for sure; I can really see that invoking negative energies into our souls and beings is not something I wish to have any more to do with.

The following day, Billy took me out to see the farmhouse where his family worked and his Grandfather used to live. It shows my complete and utter ignorance that I had figured we were heading to some kind of massive plantation style farmhouse. But no, we headed down a beautiful mountain lined road surrounded by sugar cane until we got to a tiny shack in the middle of nowhere.

We walked through the bushes and rows of trees and I got to see banana and plantain growing from all different stages.
I got to taste delicious mango straight from the tree.

It was amazing to see that the prosperity of this farm was what had given, and continues to give, Billy’s family enough money for them to get out of Batey no#8 and into the capital city of Santo Domingo where Billy and his siblings have been able to get an amazing education. Where he has been able to study medicine, business, languages, tourism, and now have his own company where he can give back to the people of his country.

After doing the rounds to say goodbye to everyone that had been so kind to me during my time at the Batey, we piled into the back of a pickup truck with about 15 other family members who were hitching a ride to the closest bus stop. There was no way anyone could sit down, we all had to stand up and lean against each other. I stood at the front, just behind the cab of the ute, facing towards the road ahead. It was an amazing drive filled with laughter as we flew over potholes and around corners, with every other car load staring at us to understand why there was a white girl hustled in the back amongst the locals.

I feel so very lucky to have had such an amazing experience and to see yet another way that people live in order to survive in this world. I also feel very lucky to have met Billy; the kindest most caring and motivated person I have ever met.

Posted by chasingsummer 08:57 Archived in Dominican Republic Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 5 of 14) Page [1] 2 3 » Next